Saturday 25 August 2012

A simple cup of tea

A cup of steaming tea is an integral part of our every day life. Every time we take one, we probably do not even pay attention. Such an insignificant event to have tea!

In my college days, during my exam leaves I had a habit of taking a short break in the late afternoon from studies. During the break I used to make tea for my mother and myself. I would wake her up with a hot cup of tea and notice a soft look in her eyes. Every time I offered her afternoon tea she will be so touched that I often wondered, what could be the reason! We had a nuclear family with just my parents and me. Naturally, my mother had all the responsibilities of serving us meals, taking care of my studies, entertaining our friends and so on. Whenever, there would be an interesting programme or movie in television, mother will be busy in providing snacks and uncomplainingly miss half of it. I never gave it a thought and always found it natural!
Now, after so many years, I am a mother myself in a nuclear family of three. At times, it happens that I have fallen asleep in the afternoon after a tiring morning and wished someone will wake me up with a cup of tea. I can read now that moistening look in my mother’s eyes. I value the simple gesture of care that mattered so much to her. I salute my mother and all the mothers who only know to give!

No comments:

Post a Comment